Extra Content: Practices of Remembrance
Any practicals to help with remembrance?
- Recall, remember, & give thanks!
- "Write down the simple or profound graces that you see throughout the day. Even more necessary is it that we write down the little things or the seemingly mundane things."
- Let this or some other tangible thing become your "monument" of remembrance.
- Remember a Scripture that counteracts the lie you believe - what is it that you're forgetting?
- Recall an experience that correlates with that Scripture - how do you not only know that it's true (intellectually) because it's from God's Word, but how have you experienced it to be true?
- "How am I supposed to know what the truth is if I'm not spending time with Jesus in His Word and abiding in His truth?"
Make a Memorial
- Make something tangible: draw something, grab a rock from outside [as God is referred to as a Rock], or have some sort of visual to cause you to remember a certain moment or a specific piece of Truth.
"When I'm in the middle of the act of forgetting, how can I quickly recall these things to mind and renew my mind so I remember the truth of the Gospel? Remembering the Gospel isn't just something that we have experienced once when we surrendered our lives to the Lord, but it's a daily thing that we need to be reminding ourselves of and preaching the Gospel to ourselves moment by moment." - Jocelyn
"Something that I've been clinging to the last few weeks is God's immutability [His inability to change]. He's a God who doesn't change, regardless of my changing circumstances. ... God doesn't change. The Gospel doesn't change. His love for me while He was on the Cross is the same love for me when I go about trying to live my own life or trying to take back control." - Mel
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. - Lamentations 3:22-23
And they remembered that God was their rock, And the Most High God their Redeemer. - Psalm 78:35
For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? - Psalm 18:31
The story about the stones of remembrance is found in Joshua 4.
One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
Guarded by Christ - Heather Holleman